What is the LeadBLUE Athletic Leadership Academy?
Designed to facilitate leadership development tools and educational opportunities for all student-athletes, the LeadBLUE Athletic Leadership Academy aims to enhance the quality of team culture, student leadership, and the athletic experience at Wellesley.
LeadBLUE includes basic training for all first-year students and sophomores, and rising leadership training for captains and team leaders as they transition into these roles. Athletes are also guided on the transition out of athletics and how their experiences will help them in the “real world.” Modeled on similar and highly effective programs, LeadBLUE will assist athletes in finding their voices, both on and off the field, complementing their academic experience, and instilling habits of leadership.
LeadBLUE also welcomes guest speakers (open to all student-athletes to attend) and establishes a direct connection to the Wellesley Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and the Athlete Mentor Program (AMP). Once fully implemented, the LeadBLUE Athletic Leadership Academy will reach 150 first year and sophomore students annually, as well as 35 student team leaders, and up to 65 additional students and athletic staff.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, LeadBLUE launched with an emphasis on programming for first year student-athletes, centered on establishing a base level of leadership, communication skills, and role clarity through facilitated workshops. Two workshops took place in the fall, beginning with a first year only workshop on Leading In Transition on Wednesday, September 27 at 7:00pm, and concluding with a final fall workshop on Tuesday, November 28, stressing the importance of communication and how to Know Your Style.
The program welcomed its first guest speaker in the fall of 2017, when Nicole LaVoi, co-director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport and the co-founder of the Minnesota Youth Sport Research Consortium. The head tennis coach at Wellesley from 1994-1998, LaVoi gave a presentation on Building a Positive Team Culture (this presentation was open to all student-athletes).
- Captains/Team Representatives Training for Fall Pre-Season Sports
- Thursday, August 30
- 1:00 - 5:00pm
- Captains/Team Representatives Training for Winter/Spring Sports
- Sunday, September 9
- 12:00-6:00pm (4:00-6:00pm in combination with fall pre-season captains/team representatives)
- First-Year Only Session: Leadership of Self/Transition
- Thursday, September 20
- Sophomore-Only Session: Communication 2.0 (Conflict Resolution)
- Monday, September 24
- First-Year Only Session: Communication
- Monday, October 22
- SAAC Alumnae Networking Dinner
- Monday, November 5
- Sophomore-Only Session: Role Clarity 2.0 (Coach Conversations)
- Monday, November 19
- LeadBLUE Speaker Event - Shelagh Donohue
- Tuesday, November 27
- First-Year Only Session: Role Clarity
- Monday, February 4
- Sophomore-Only Session: LeadBLUE Retreat
- Sunday, February 17-midday February 18
- Off-campus retreat
- LeadBLUE Speaker Event - Nevin Caple
- Tuesday, March 12
- Sophomore-Only Session: Retreat Follow-Up and Launch into Leadership
- Wednesday, April 10