Friends of Athletics National Committee
2011-12 Friends National Committee
|Leslie Bagay ’01||FH/LAX||Nominations Chair||2010-13|
|Karina Chung ’13||SW||Student-Athlete Rep.||2011-12|
|Carter Dodge||Crew||Parent Representative||2010-12|
|Jennifer Downing ’01||SW||Alumnae Co-Chair||2009-14|
|Olivia Hulme ’12||SW||Student-Athlete Rep.||2011-12|
|Erin Johnson ’05||BB||Homecoming Chair||2010-13|
|Brian Kuscher||COACH (Tennis)||Teacher/Coach Rep||2011-14|
|Karen McArthur ’82||FH/SOC/LAX||At-Large Rep.||2011-14|
|Louise McCleary ’87||VB/BB/LAX||Awards Chair||2010-13|
|Jessica Moore ’03||SW||Outreach & Dev. Chair||2009-12|
|Liza Janssen Petra ’94||BB/SOC||At-Large Repc||2010-13|
|Garland Kemper '86||Crew||Reunion Chair||2011-14|
|Britt Salapek||Recreation Director||Recreation Rep|
|Ashleigh Sargent ’13||BB||Student-Athlete Rep.||2011-12|
|Bridget Belgiovine||Chair/Director of PERA||Co-Chair||Co-Chair|
2011-12 Committee Representatives
|Katie Guynn '09||SW||Outreach & Dev. Rep.|
|Meaghan McNulty '95||Reunion Rep.|
|Ashley Shaffer '06||Crew||Outreach & Dev.Rep.|
|Kate Smith '07||Homecoming Rep.|
|Julia Thomas '09||BB||Homecoming Rep.|
|Julie Triba '09||Crew||Outreach & Dev. Rep.|
All-Time National Committee
|Last Name||First Name||Affiliation||Service|
|Allyn Matthews||Patricia||alum '84||1987-88|
|Anderson Brown||Nancy||alum '74||1989-92, 1992-96|
|Bagay||Leslie||alum '01||2007-11, 2008-2011, 2010-2013|
|Barnes Hauptfuhrer||Barbara||alum '49|
|Black Uy||Megan||alum '00||2003-07|
|Burick||Marcia||alum '62||1992-96 (co-chair)|
|Burton||Martha||alum '83||1997-2001, 2003-07|
|Butterfield Bodine||Barbara||alum '48||1986|
|Carroll Reese||Christine||alum '88||1997-01|
|Chang||Heidi||alum '96||1993-94, 1995-96|
|Chuday Feddersen||Catherine||alum '84||1987-1999, 2004-2005 (co-chair)|
|Cohen Barrett||Martha||alum '89||1997-01|
|Conley||M. Kathleen||alum '83||1990-94, 1994-98|
|Copeland Levens||Deborah||alum '74||1989-93|
|Crawford Ames||Mary Ellen||alum '40||1986-88|
|Crosby||Lisa||alum '85||1986-87, 1990-94|
|(Curtis) Rigler||Kitsy (Katherine)||alum '61||1986-90 (co-chair), 1990-94 (co-chair)|
|Diaz Triola||Anna||alum '95||1994-95, 2007-11|
|Dohn Banks||Candy||alum '96||1994-95|
|Downing||Jennifer||alum '01||2006-10, 2009-11, 2011-14|
|Faunce (Hack)||Nancy||alum '78||1987-91, 1991-95, 1995-99 (co-chair), 2003-07|
|Finarelli||Maria||alum '90||1997-01, 2001-05, 2005-09 (co-chair), 2009-11|
|Frogozo||Christine||alum '02||Recreation Assoc.|
|Galanis||John & Pat||parent||1990-94|
|Goldberg Aronson||Martha||alum '89||1992-96, 1996-2000|
|Gordon Gresham||Jennifer||alum '94||1993-94|
|Hall||Katherine||alum '84||1989-93, 1993-97|
|Heifinsfeld Lapirow||Edith||alum '30||1986-88|
|Johnson||Darby||alum '83||1990-94, 1994-98, 1998-02|
|Johnson||Erin||alum '05||2007-11, 2010-13|
|Jones Walmsley||Suzanne||staff||1993-94, 1995-96|
|Kalberer||Lisa||alum '92||1998-2002, 2003-07|
|Lane Hunt||Janice||alum '52||1986-88|
|(Le Roy) Moore||Jessica||alum '03||2006-10, 2009-11, 2011-12|
|Lyman||Susan||alum 'CE 88||1992-93, 1995-96|
|Lyon||Mary Lou||alum '52||1989-1990|
|McCleary||Louise Teresa||alum '87||1997-2001, 2010-13|
|McDaniel||Mary Eliza||alum '40||1986-88|
|Morrison||Judith Ann||alum '78||1995-99, 1999-03, 2003-06|
|Noland Young||Mary||alum '76||1993-97, 2003-05|
|Petra||Liza||alum '05||2008-11, 2010-13|
|Reed||Larry & Jan||parent||1997-2001|
|Roth||Peter & Marsha||alum '61||1986-90|
|Saltzbart||Sara (Sally)||alum '86||1994-1998|
|Seabury Ware||Dr. Eugenia||alum '74||1989-93, 1993-97|
|Sebesta||Kenneth & Helen||parent||1993-97|
|Simonton Foster||Kay||alum '61||1994-98, 1998-02|
|(Steensland) Mullarkey||Lara||alum '90||1989-90|
|(Stein) Rosenhagen||Erika||alum '94||1990-91|
|Strand MacDonald||Bea||alum '60||1986-88|
|Swett Robinson||Marion||alum '69||1986-87|
|Thomas||Julia||alum '09||2008-09, 2010-|
|Twichell Basser||Deborah||alum '90||1998-2002|
|Twichell, M.D.||Joseph||parent||1988-92, 1992-96, 1996-98|
Friends of Athletics Bylaws
Article I NAME
The name of this organization shall be Friends of Wellesley Athletics.
Article II PURPOSE
The purpose of this organization shall be to provide supplementary support for the athletics and recreational programs of the Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Athletics (PERA) at Wellesley College and to encourage among students, other members of the Wellesley College community, alumnae and other friends of the College a lifelong interest in athletics and fitness.
The primary activities undertaken in support of this purpose may include:
Raising supplementary funds for recreational and competitive athletics;
Assisting with student athletics and recreational events on campus;
Increasing the local and national visibility of the Wellesley athletic program;
Providing for the exchange of news and information between the Wellesley College Department of PERA and the Wellesley College athletic teams and alumnae, parents and friends of the College;
Sponsoring special events, including campus and regional activities.
Article III MEMBERSHIP
Membership is open to all student-athlete alumnae and other persons without restriction upon receipt of an annual contribution. The membership year shall conform to the Wellesley College fiscal year, July 1 – June 30.
Article IV ORGANIZATION
A. Co-Chairs – Friends of Wellesley College Athletics shall have co-chairs. One co-chair shall be an alumna; the alumna co-chair shall be appointed by the President of the College based on a recommendation from the existing co-chairs consistent with the process presented to the National Committee of FOWCA and shall serve one term of four years. The other co-chair shall be the Chair/Director of the Department of PERA.
B. National Committee
1. Responsibilities - The primary responsibility of the National Committee, chaired by the Co-Chairs, is to increase resources (particularly financial) for the Physical Education, Recreation and Athletic (PERA) programs; to approve the annual budget; to elect chairs for various standing and ad hoc committees; to direct the work of the Standing Committees and ad hoc committees; to elect recipients of the FOWCA honor and Linda K. Vaughan exceptional service awards; to approve wish list items from options presented by the PERA department; and to designate from among its membership individuals to coordinate specific projects as the need arises. It is also expected that each member will make an annual donation to FOWCA. The committee normally meets twice a year, around Homecoming in the fall and around the Scholar-Athlete Awards Event in the spring.
2. Composition - The National Committee is comprised of up to 17 members,the co-chairs, the chairs of 6 of the standing committees, up to 4 at-large members, one parent, one coach, and at least 2 students. A coach, parent, recreation representative and two student-athlete executive board members from SAAC are appointed annually by the PERA Department. All members serve in alignment with their terms. The National Committee is also supported by the PERA Department, Associate Director of Athletics, Associate Director of Facilities and Operations, Director of Sports Information and Communication and Administrative Assistant.
- 3. At-large Members - At-large National Committee members are appointed to enhance diversity of sports and decades or to fill specific needs. An at-large National Committee Member may serve on up to two standing committees. An at-large member who has served on the National Committee for at least one year may be elected to chair a standing committee.
- 4. Terms - The term for FOWCA National Committee members serving as standing committee chairs or at-large members is 3-years and ordinarily, no member serves more than 3 consecutive terms. The coach representative serves a three-year term; the parent representative is appointed annually and may be re-appointed until their student graduates; and student representatives are appointed annually, consistent with their term on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. All terms commence July 1st; however, new members are encouraged to attend the Spring National Committee meeting immediately prior to the start of their term.
C. Standing Committees
- 1. Standing
Committees - include Awards, Budget, Homecoming,
Nominating, Outreach and Development and Reunion. Committees
meet as often as determined necessary by each chair in order to
carry out the business of the committee, but no less than once per
year. Meetings may be held by conference call. The
Co-Chairs shall serve as ex officio members of each
standing committee and co-lead the budget committee.
Department of PERA designees shall serve as ex officio
members and liaisons for standing committees as deemed appropriate
by the Co-Chairs.
- a. Awards Committee – Responsibilities: To coordinate nominations for each FOWCA award and recognition consistent with guidelines established for each and recommend future modifications and/or additions to FOWCA awards and recognitions. Composition: Ordinarily the chair of the committee and five other members representing the following areas: coach, faculty, student-athlete, SAAC representative, PE/recreation student, administrator, a Wellesley alumna for the past 10 years and a Wellesley alumna from prior to the last ten years. A single representative could represent more than one area with an attempt to cover as many areas as possible. Student representatives will serve on an annual basis, with a maximum of two years of service.
- b. Budget Committee – Responsibilities: To collect information from standing committee chairs by the end of March and to aggregate annual budget information for approval by the National Committee at the spring meeting. The Budget Committee works closely with the Associate Director of Facilities and Operations for PERA. Composition: the two co-chairs of the National Committee.
- c. Homecoming Committee – Responsibilities: To plan, promote, and conduct annual homecoming events other than the alum/Varsity athlete competitions coordinated by the Coaches and administrators of PERA. Homecoming will normally be scheduled in the fall, but planning and coordination for the event will normally start by mid-April. Composition: Ordinarily the chair of the committee and up to two National Committee Members, plus a FOWCA representative for each participating sport. The representative for each sport will be designated by the Varsity Coach of that sport, and will work directly with that coach to encourage participation at Homecoming alum/Varsity athlete events.
- d. Nominating Committee – Responsibilities: To develop candidates for standing committee chairs, at-large members and FOWCA representatives. Committee members and standing committee chairs may be presented for approval at either the spring or fall meeting. Composition: Ordinarily the chair of the committee and up to three additional FOWCA representatives.
- e. Outreach and Development Committee – Responsibilities: To enhance support for participants involved in Athletics and Recreation programs at Wellesley College by; communicating the mission, goals and events of FOWCA with consistency; developing maintaining and increasing resources; engaging alumnae, friends and families; working in partnership with the co-chairs and Office for Resources and enlisting help from all National Committee members and FOWCA representatives as necessary to accomplish its goals.
- Specific Outreach expectations: develop the FOWCA portion of the All Friends annual appeal and solicit ideas for Alumnae Magazine articles or advertisements; assist with development of quarterly updates and other publications as deemed appropriate to encourage interests in and financial support to FOWCA; oversee updates to the FOWCA website content at least quarterly with support from the Director of Sports Information and Communication and FOWCA Representatives.
- Specific Development expectations: coordinate the national committee efforts to maintain and increase FOWCA donors and gifts; assist with donor recognition process; regularly report status of efforts using statistics provided by Office for Resources; develop an annual plan and timeline for electronic communication, direct mail, phone solicitations, or other projects and special events as approved by the National Committee.
- Composition: Ordinarily the chair of the committee, the parent representative, one National Committee Member and up to four FOWCA representatives.
f. Reunion Committee – Responsibilities: To plan, promote and coordinate FOWCA activities (e.g., Lake Waban Walk/Run, Youth Clinics and Receptions) during the Wellesley College Reunion Weekend held each year in June. Composition: Ordinarily the chair of the committee and up to two additional FOWCA representatives.
2. Standing Committee Chairs are responsible for recommending yearly goals and objectives and a budget for approval by the National Committee; determining the meeting schedule required for its own standing committee to meet those objectives; recommending potential members for its committee to the nominating committee; delegating assignments to committee members; and presenting a report of its activities at the National Committee meetings. Chairs serve 3-year terms and ordinarily shall serve no more than 3 consecutive terms.
3. FOWCA Representatives include ad hoc members to any one of the seven standing committees. A FOWCA representative may serve on up to 2 standing committees at any time. Representatives serve annually and may be reappointed without limitation. Representatives are encouraged, but not required, to make an annual donation to FOWCA. A FOWCA representative who has served at least one year may be elected to serve on the National Committee.
4. Ad Hoc Committees may be established as the need arises as determined by the National Committee.
Article V MEETINGS
A. The National Committee shall meet at least twice a year. The National Committee shall determine the frequency and dates of its meetings. A quorum shall be had with 50% of the Committee present, plus one.
- B. The Standing Committees shall meet as often as determined necessary by each chair in order to carry out the business of the committee, but no less than once per year. Meetings may be held at any time during the year and may be held by conference call.
Article VI AMENDMENT OF THE BYLAWS
The Bylaws may be amended at any time (consistent with law) by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the National Committee, provided notice of a proposed change is given to all National Committee members at least ten days prior to the date at which such vote is to be taken so proxy votes may be taken from absent members. The requirements for a ten-day notice period may be waived by unanimous consent of the National Committee.