Wellesley Fencing Earns Second Straight USFCA Scholar Team of the Year Award
WELLESLEY, Mass. -- The Wellesley College fencing team has earned the 2021-22 United States Fencing Coaches Association (USFCA) Women's Scholar Team of the Year Award. The honor is the second straight for the Blue, as Wellesley was also named the USFCA Women's Scholar Team of the Year for the 2021-22 season.
Fifteen women's teams and seven men's teams received All-Academic recognition for their combined in-season team GPA, with Wellesley College receiving the top honor with a USFCA-best team GPA of 3.71, just ahead of Vassar College (3.69).
In addition to the team recognition, 14 members of Head Coach Rob Charlton's squad were named to the USFCA All Academic team. All-Academic Team honors are presented to those student-athletes at member institutions who had an in-season GPA of 3.3 or higher. Eight of Wellesley's 14 All-Academic team recipients also earned USFCA Scholar of Distinction accolades, presented to student-athletes at USFCA member institutions who had an in-season GPA of 3.7 or higher.
- Ella Boodell (Edgemont, N.Y.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Clara Brotzen-Smith (Houston, Texas) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Makana Burch (Portland, Ore.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Hunter Dodrill (Boca Raton, Fla.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Yasemin Ersen (Newton, Mass.) All-Academic
- Alexia Gilioli (New York, N.Y.) All-Academic
- Kimberley Kimura (Los Angeles, Calif.) All-Academic
- Edith Po (Bernardsvile, N.J.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Samantha Renton (Rockville, Md.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Sejal Saxena (Chappaqua, N.Y.) All-Academic
- Nerine Uyanik (San Jose, Calif.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Elena Vona (Millstone, N.J.) All-Academic
- Sam Wolstenholme-Britt (Cary, N.C.) All-Academic, Scholar of Distinction
- Candace Xie (Jiangsu, China) All-Academic
The USFCA recognizes the individual student-athletes and teams on the basis of their combined Fall and Spring semester GPAs (or Fall and Winter quarter GPAs). The USFCA All-Academic Team includes 366 student-athletes with 217 receiving recognition as Scholars of Distinction. Among women's teams, Northwestern University led the nation with twenty-five All-Academic Team selections and eighteen Scholars of Distinction. Columbia University followed closely with twenty-one All-Academic Team selections and sixteen Scholars of Distinction.
Wellesley Athletics strives for excellence at the conference, regional, and national levels, while providing opportunities for students to achieve their potential and learn the values of discipline, leadership, critical thinking, and responsibility to oneself and others.